Who we are:
Leominster Car Auctions Ltd is a vehicle auction operator based at Leominster Car Auctions, Shirlheath, Kingsland, Leominster, Herefordshire, HR6 9RL
This notice explains Leominster Car Auctions approach to the personal information we handle in our business.
Leominster Car Auctions is fully committed to handling personal information in accordance with data protection legislation and best data protection practices. This means that your personal information will be:
- Processed lawfully, fairly, and in a transparent manner.
- Collected for specified, explicit and legitimate purposes.
- Only collected so far as required for our lawful purposes.
- As accurate and up to date as possible.
- Retained for a reasonable period of time, in accordance with retention policies.
- Processed in a manner which ensures an appropriate level of security.
- Whether through this notice or otherwise, we hope to ensure that everyone has a good understanding of why Leominster Car Auctions processes personal information and, where we do, the rights they may have.
Why does Leominster Car Auctions need to process personal information?
Leominster Car Auctions is a vehicle auction operator.
As explained in this notice, there are various ways in which Leominster Car Auctions must process personal data to allow us to fulfil our role.
HOW DOES LEOMINSTER CAR AUCTIONS COLLECT PERSONAL INFORMATION?
Like most organisations that handle personal information, there are various ways in which Leominster Car Auctions collects information from the people we deal with.
- Email and written correspondence.
- Telephone discussions.
- Visitors to the Leominster Car Auctions website.
- Social media.
- Mobile application.
- Application forms and other information requests.
- Direct contact at our head office, auction events and elsewhere.
- CCTV records of our car auctions
- In nearly all instances, it should be obvious to you that Leominster Car Auctions is collecting your personal data.
What personal information does Leominster Car Auctions collect?
Leominster Car Auctions collects personal information to fulfil its role as a provider of vehicle auction services to trade and private customers. As there are many different aspects to this role, the information requested and collected will vary from person to person.
The personal information most commonly collected by Leominster Car Auctions is as follows:
- Contact details (including addresses, email, telephone number).
- Company or Employer details.
- Copies of physical and electronic correspondence.
- Financial information.
- Private User Customers:
The personal information most commonly collected from prospective clients is as follows:
- Contact details (including home and business addresses, email, and telephone number).
- Attendance records for Leominster Car Auctions auction events.
- Copies of physical and electronic correspondence.
- Financial Information
What is the lawful basis for Leominster Car Auctions processing activities?
Leominster Car Auctions will only process personal information where we believe we have a lawful basis to do so. The basis for processing will vary from activity to activity. In some instances, processing may have more than one lawful basis.
The following information below summarises the basis on which we process personal information.
Examples of processing activities
To provide services to you
To process sales of vehicles by auction and receive/forward payments.
Marketing our services, and those of selected third parties to:
Existing and former customers;
Third parties who have previously expressed an interest in our services;
Third parties with whom we have had no previous dealings.
For our legitimate interests or those of a third party, i.e. to promote our business through email or direct mail to existing and former customers who we feel would be interested in our services.
Updating and enhancing customer records
To comply with our legal and regulatory obligations. For our legitimate interests or those of a third party, e.g. making sure that we can keep in touch with our customers.
Does Leominster Car Auctions share personal data with third parties?
Some of the processing activities set out above require Leominster Car Auctions to share personal information with third parties. Whenever we share personal data, we take all reasonable steps to ensure it will be handled appropriately and securely by the third party.
DVLA in respect of change of ownership of vehicles.
Collecting / enforcing payments.
Software providers which allow Leominster Car Auctions to operate efficient digital processes.
HOW LONG DOES LEOMINSTER CAR AUCTIONS RETAIN PERSONAL INFORMATION?
The periods for which Leominster Car Auctions retains personal information depend on the purpose for which the information was obtained but, in general terms, we will retain personal data for so long as required by law, or as may be required for record keeping and legal claims purposes.
WHERE DOES LEOMINSTER CAR AUCTIONS STORE PERSONAL INFORMATION?
Personal information is mostly processed by Leominster Car Auctions staff at Leominster Car Auctions, Kingsland, Herefordshire, HR6 9RL. To allow us to operate efficient digital processes, we sometimes need to store information in servers located outside the UK but within the European Economic Area (EEA)
Leominster Car Auctions may collect information about the computer or device which is used to access www.leominstercarauctions.co.uk We use this information to improve the user experience, and to help us better understand the ways in which our website is used. This may include information about:
- The computer or device type.
- IP address.
- Operating system.
- Browser type and version.
- Time zone setting and browser plug-in types and versions.
- This is statistical data about our users' browsing actions and patterns. It is collected on an anonymous, aggregated basis, and does not identify individual users.
Our website makes use of cookie files to distinguish you from other users of our site, to provide you with a bespoke user experience tailored to your individual preferences. A cookie file (a small file of letters and numbers) will be placed on your computer or other access device each time you visit our site.
Leominster Car Auctions also uses analytical cookie files. These allow us to recognise and count the number of visitors to our site and to see how visitors move around our site when they are using it. This helps us to improve the way our site works, for example, by ensuring that users are finding what they are looking for easily.
If you wish to delete any such cookie files, please refer to the instructions for your file management software to locate the file or directory that stores cookies. Our cookies will contain the domain name www.leominstercarauctions.co.uk within the file name.
You may refuse to accept cookie files when visiting our site, by activating the setting on your browser which allows you to refuse the setting of cookies. However, if you choose this setting, you may not get an optimal web site experience and be unable to access certain parts of our site.
Your rights where Leominster Car Auctions is processing your information
The law in the UK gives certain rights to individuals whose information is being processed by a third party. The following is a quick summary of these rights:
- Access to your information – you have the right to request a copy of the personal information about you that Leominster Car Auctions holds.
- Correcting your information – Leominster Car Auctions wants to make sure that your personal information is accurate, complete, and up to date, and so you may ask Leominster Car Auctions to correct any personal information about you that you believe does not meet these standards.
- Deletion of your information – You have the right to ask Leominster Car Auctions to delete personal information about you:
- You consider that Leominster Car Auctions no longer requires the information for the purposes for which it was obtained
- Leominster Car Auctions is using that information with your consent and you have withdrawn your consent – see ‘withdrawing consent to using your information’ below.
- You have validly objected to Leominster Car Auctions' use of your personal information – see ‘objecting to how we may use your information’ below.
- Leominster Car Auctions' use of your personal information is contrary to law or Leominster Car Auctions' other legal obligations.
- Objecting to how we may use your information – you have the right at any time to require Central Car Auctions to stop using your personal information for direct marketing purposes. In addition, where Leominster Car Auctions uses your personal information to perform tasks carried out in the public interest, or in exercising official authority vested in it then, if you ask us to, Leominster Car Auctions will stop using that personal information unless there are overriding legitimate grounds to continue.
- Restricting how we may use your information – in some cases, you may ask us to restrict how we use your personal information. This right might apply, for example, where we are checking the accuracy of personal information about you that we hold or assessing the validity of any objection you have made to Leominster Car Auctions' use of your information. The right might also apply if Leominster Car Auctions no longer has a basis for using your personal information, but you don't want Leominster Car Auctions to delete the data. Where this right is validly exercised, Leominster Car Auctions may only use the relevant personal information with your consent, for legal claims, or where there are other public interest grounds to do so.
- Withdrawing consent using your information – where Leominster Car Auctions uses your personal information with your consent, you may withdraw that consent at any time, and Leominster Car Auctions will stop using your personal information for the purpose(s) for which consent was given.
- Please contact Leominster Car Auctions in any of the ways set out in the ‘contact information and further advice’ section if you wish to exercise any of these rights.
Types of Cookies
There are four categories of cookie: strictly necessary cookies, performance cookies, functional cookies and marketing cookies.
- Strictly necessary cookies are essential in order to enable you to move around the website and use its features. Without these cookies, some services cannot be provided – for example, remembering previous actions when navigating back to a page in the same session.
- Performance cookies gather information about how a website is used – for example, which pages a visitor frequently visits. These cookies do not save personal information or information that would allow the user to be identified. These cookies are used exclusively to improve the performance of the website, and with it the user experience.
- Functional cookies enable a website to save information which has already been entered (such as usernames, languages choices, and your location), so that it can offer you improved and more personalised functions. These cookies collect anonymous information and cannot track your movements on other websites.
- Marketing cookies are used to deliver adverts and other communications more relevant to you and your interests. They are also used to limit the number of times you see an advertisement and to help measure the effectiveness of advertising campaigns.
Managing the use of Cookie settings on this website
- While you can completely disable some cookies in your browser at any time, it is important to note that if you change your settings and block certain cookies, you will not be able to take full advantage of some features of our site.
- Cookies that are essential, also known as ‘strictly necessary’ cookies, enable features without which you would not be able to use the website as intended. These Cookies are only saved on your computer while you are actually browsing the website and for the duration of the session. Strictly necessary cookies cannot be disabled.
Leominster Car Auctions keeps this notice under regular review and will place any updates on this website.
OPTING OUT OF RECEIVING COMMUNICATIONS
You can ask us to stop sending you communications at any time by logging into the website and checking or unchecking relevant boxes to adjust your marketing preferences or by following the opt-out links on any marketing message sent to you.
CONTACT INFORMATION AND FURTHER ADVICE
If you have any questions which are not covered in this notice, we suggest that you email us through email@example.com To help us deal with your query as quickly as possible, we recommend that you include the following in the email subject ‘FAO Data Protection Officer’. If you would prefer to submit your questions in writing, please write to our office at Leominster Car Auctions, Kingsland, Leominster, Herefordshire, HR6 9RL, addressing your letter to the Data Protection Officer.
This privacy statement January 2020.